It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:18 am 
Site Admin

In July we packed up the truck and went on a 2 week vacation, hopefully the first of many like this.

First we climbed this 1500' Volcanic cone alonge I-5 next to Mt. Shasta.

Then it was up to Sun River Oregon to meet my parents and sister.

This indoor wave pool was amazing. some pro surfer dudes were sessioning it on little wakeboard things and spinning around in crazy ways.

A little climbing at Smith Rocks in Oregon. This was a beautiful spot I'd like to come back to, but the rock quality is nothing compared to California Granite.

Then it was off to City of Rocks in Idaho for 2 days. I can't wait to go back there for more singletrack exploration and climbing. The rock climbing went up a notch and the landscape is amazing.

Then it was up to the promise land for mountain bike singletrack, Ketchum Idaho. The kids really got to the next level.

These hot springs are on warm springs road about 10 miles from town. I've been there a few times usually en route to ride the Red Warrior Trail. I never noticed there is a climbing anchor on a 40' tall boulder right across the street that looked okay, and not the crumbly stuff found around Ketchum.

This is Redfish Lake just south of Stanley Idaho, the only night we paid to stay inside. Great breakfast and awsome hiking. We took the boat across the lake to hike further into the backcountry and I toted my bike to ride the trail back around the lake.

Classic ski art house in Ketchum near the base of Sun Valley Ski Area.

The YMCA in Ketchum is one of a few mega million dollar masterpieces that is a vacation in itself. A great place to take a shower and use computers for nothing practically. The indoor climbing area was huge, this is half of it. Some serious financial donors created this place, there is no way they make enough money to cover even a portion of the cost to build and maintain this place.

Ryder couldn't get enough of the pump track in town. We stopped there on the way back from a week in Montana as well.

Stanley Idaho and the Sawtooths are beautiful, like being up at one of the high elevation trailheads in the Sierra.

Next we drove up to Glacier National Park to join our friends the mosquitoes. We loved our 2 days spent hiking there, but you had to be covered in bug juice and keep waiving them off. Just our timing as the snow was recently melted. They opened Logan Pass the week before actually.

Now we are in Whitefish Montana, home of the best pizza west of the Tri-State Area...Jersey Guys Pizza! What a find. The guy told us where to go riding with the kids too, called the Whitefish Trail just out of town. Perfect easy singletrack.

Next it was up to one of the more popular climbing areas of Montana called Stone Hill. These road side crags were along the quiet shores of Lake Kookanusa, not far from the Canadian border. We stayed in the state park campground called Rexford Bench and found really good singletrack for a few miles, possibly leading to more. This campground was less crowded and brand new with water and fancy bathrooms. Much better than the private RV junkshow business down the street.

The drive back through Montana was beautiful. Rolling open space and dream like settings for homes. The economy looked pretty tough to find a real job though based on the look of the towns we drove through. This is in Idaho along the Salmon River, where you can camp anywhere.

Along the way there are endless could-be climbing areas. Most of the rock is too poor quality to climb, but I'm sure many spots are good. You just gotta have time to explore and talk to locals. I couldn't find much beta online about climbing in Idaho or Montana. Not that I needed it, kids can have fun anywhere.

Then...

now...

Back in Stanley Idaho

On the Whitney's Boat back home. This vacation was our best yet, but home isn't much worse!